Latest news, snow, pics, gossip and information from the locals in La Tania – latania.co.uk
All the latest news from around the 3 Valleys from the La Tania locals. A real blog since 2006, not just endless re-posts for search engine optimisaton! Photos, gossip, snow reports, what's on and all the latest on the Apres Ski scene... Now fully optimised for iPhone, Touch and Android Mobiles - just go to latania.co.uk/blog and view on your phone. Our other past blogs & favourites here
The Return of the Ski Train (sort of)
The original overnight disco ski train disappeared long ago and the direct Eurostar services (as they were) were never replaced following the cancellation during the pandemic in 2020.
The last couple of years have seen a direct service with the tour operator Travelski chartering Eurostar trains but offering package holidays only including accommodation, transfer etc. This service has now been discontinued too. Travelski is owned by the giant Compagnie des Alpes company which runs Tignes, Val d’Isere, Les Menuires, Meribel Alpina, Les Arcs, La Plagne, Chamonix, Megeve etc etc, they have theme parks too now!
However, new for Winter 2023/24 is the Eurostar Snow Train service via Lille from £99 one-way Standard Class or £149 Standard Premier Class (no Business Class option) and includes bags and skis and check-in and security and seat reservation and tax etc etc!
- Tickets are on sale from 31 August for travel between 16 December 2023 and 4 February 2024.
- The new service involves a Eurostar train between London and Lille; then a second, newly-branded, Eurostar Snow train (run by Thalys) between Lille and the ski resorts at Chambéry, Albertville, Moutiers, Aime-La Plagne and Bourg-Saint-Maurice.
- Trains depart Saturday morning and return Sunday morning allowing 7 days on the slopes (so not really helpful for the traditional Sat to Sat or Sun to Sun holiday bookings – hotels in Moûtiers for the Saturday night will be popular!).
Some Tour Ops will also be running packages using these services but train only tickets are available from 10:00 on Thursday 31 August 2023.
Confirmed Timetable for Winter 2023/2024
OUT: (8hr 29min travel time)
- London St Pancras dep: Sat 09:01
- Lille arr: 11:27 (48min to change platform)
- Lille dep: 12:15
- Moûtiers arr: 17:30
RETURN: (8hr 5min travel time)
- Moûtiers dep: Sun 08:52
- Lille arr: 14:30 (1hr to change platform)
- Lille dep: 15:35
- London St Pancras arr: 15:57
The Eurostar website currently has a few errors (it says to get a coach from Bourg St Maurice for La Tania instead of Moûtiers!). Also note the limited dates with the service running only until 4 February 2023 and then the options are via Paris using the SNCF service to Moûtiers.
Examples of the alternative Eurostar / SNCF service:
SATURDAY OUT: (8hr 18min travel time)
- London St Pancras dep: Sat 06:31
- Paris Gare du Nord arr: 09:48 (1hr 44min to change station)
- Paris Gare de Lyon dep: 11:32
- Moûtiers arr: 15:49
SATURDAY RETURN: (9hr 1min travel time)
- Moûtiers dep: Sat 10:31
- Paris Gare de Lyon arr: 14:54 (2hr 18min to change station)
- Paris Gare du Nord dep: 17:12
- London St Pancras arr: 18:32
SUNDAY RETURN: (8hr 40min travel time)
- Moûtiers dep: Sun 09:50
- Paris Gare de Lyon arr: 14:11 (2hr 1min to change station)
- Paris Gare du Nord dep: 16:12
- London St Pancras arr: 17:30